Nutrition and fitness are among the most important lessons we can teach our kids. We now know that these two factors are the keys to longevity and better health throughout life. The sooner our kids begin eating right and exercising, the more likely they are to continue this trend throughout their teens, twenties, and beyond. A Corona family health center can help you teach these lessons and instill healthy habits into your children starting at a young age.
A Corona Family Health Center Helps Prevent Child Obesity
According to the most recent statistics, the number of obese 6-11 year olds has tripled over the past three decades. Studies suggest that between 16 and 33 percent of all children and adolescents are not just overweight, but, in fact, obese. This number is somewhere in the ballpark of 9 million American youngsters! The annual cost to society is around $100 billion per year. As you know, childhood obesity is caused by overeating and under-exercising. However, these two factors are ultimately caused by a lack of parental involvement. By joining a Corona family health center, you can open up that dialogue with your child and make a lasting impact on his or her life.
Ways To Encourage Healthy Habits At Home:
The last thing you want to do is single your child out for being overweight and making him or her feel bad. You want your child to feel as though everyone is “all in this together.” Here’s how:
- Make small, gradual changes like: turning off the TV during dinner, drinking water with lemon instead of soda, or taking a post-dinner walk as a family.
- Set realistic and measurable goals like limiting fast food to once a month or briskly walking three times a week. Emphasize that it’s not about losing pounds, but about being healthy.
- Know what your family’s weaknesses are, whether it’s salty chips and popcorn or sweets like sodas and cakes. Practice indulging in these cravings only in moderation. Split and share treats as a family, rather than ordering separately.
- Reward your child for making the right choices, such as choosing fruit rather than cookies as an after-school snack. Perhaps the reward can be family movie night or a picnic in the park.
- Stock your house with fruits, vegetables and whole-grain foods. Limit junk.
- Try cooking new family meals at home and keep portion sizes reasonable.
Lastly, you can get a family membership at a Corona family health center that also has a gym. There are special programs for people of all ages that will get heart rates up and teach kids the importance of scheduling fitness as a priority. It’s important that parents act as positive role models for their children – working out, eating nutritious foods, eating proper portions, exercising discipline, and making fitness an important part of everyday life.
Just Call (909) 962-7745
To Learn More
or visit this link: